Renewal must be completed every three years to maintain your certification.
Two ways to renew: Obtain a total of 60 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and pay your renewal fee by your expiration date OR re-write and successfully pass the certification exams.
Four steps to a smooth renewal1. Earn CEUs
- A minimum of 25 CEUs must be obtained from HIMSS or HIMSS Approved Provider activities;
- A minimum of 10 CEUs must be obtained from COACH activities;
- Remaining CEUs can be obtained from other providers of HI professional education activities. If you are unsure if a particular event/activity suffices, please send the agenda to COACH for confirmation.
- Track your CEUs as you earn them, using your HIMSS account
- Check out COACH’s list of CEU accredited activities you may have already attended
- Don’t forget that COACH Webinar Wednesdays are each worth one CEU hour. Recordings of past webinars can be downloaded in the COACH Store (free to COACH members).
- Individuals are responsible for tracking their own CEU hours earned during a renewal cycle. Start documenting your CEUs through the HIMSS online tracking certification application, which is linked to your HIMSS account.
- Log in to your HIMSS Account
- In the upper right hand corner of HIMSS.org, click “Sign In”
- Hover your mouse over your name in the toolbar and click “My Account” from the drop-down menu
- Under “My Certifications”, click the “Edit” icon
- Click the orange “Add New Transcript” button
- A pop-up box will appear. Fill out the fields in the pop-up box to add your qualifying CEU
- Don’t forget to click the “Save” button
- Edit or remove continuing education credits as needed
- You may renew and pay for your recertification online as early as six months prior to, but no later than, the expiration date on your certificate by:
- Submit Your Renewal
- On your dashboard, locate the “Submit Transcriptions” button. You may add or manage your transcripts any time during the certification period, the submission period is the time when you can submit and apply for recertification. Review the “authenticate and attest” statement. Click “yes” or “no”. Follow the recertification fees instructions and click to pay.
- Enter your address, city, state and country in the fields, and click the “Save Address” button.
- Enter payment information and click the “Complete Your Order” button
- Review Order Confirmation: Review your summary of order number and billing address.
- Receive a confirmation email and payment receipt for the recertification.
- When HIMSS receives your renewal application, it will be reviewed and processed.
- When your payment has been processed, you will receive an emailed receipt.
- When your certificate is ready to ship, you will receive an email confirming your address.
- When your certificate is mailed, you will receive an email including a tracking number.